Almost as sweet as popping the berries in your mouth, straight from the tree, is this recipe for our Mulberry Syrup! With simple, healthy ingredients, the beautiful sweetness of the mulberry really shines. This syrup is perfect with pancakes, crepes, or French toast. It's lovely drizzled over yoghurt, or to sweeten up your morning tea. It keeps well in the fridge, and even longer in the freezer, so you can enjoy the taste of sweet mulberries all year long.
- Place mulberries, water, honey and maple syrup in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a gentle boil, turn down heat just a bit, and simmer for ten minutes or until berries begin to break down, and syrup is slightly thickened.
- Pour syrup through a mesh strainer or a cheesecloth over a bowl, to remove seeds. Scrape strainer with a rubber spatula to get as much of the juice and pulp through as possible.
- Return syrup to the saucepan, and add the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and cinnamon. Cook on medium-high for 5-10 more minutes, stirring regularly, until syrup thickens slightly.
- Use immediately, or store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Other recipes you might like