Our recipe for Chickpea Salad with Quick-Pickled Asparagus, is as fresh and light as springtime itself! It's loaded with fresh herbs, healthy greens, bright citrus flavours, and we've taken the quintessential veggie of spring to the next level by making a quick pickle. It's incredible how just a quick dip in a vinegar bath can bring so much complexity and depth to the flavours of this salad. It tastes elegant, but couldn't be more simple to make.
- To make a quick asparagus pickle: combine apple cider vinegar, water, dill, salt, and 1 clove crushed garlic, to a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until boils. Reduce to medium-low, and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Place chopped asparagus in a glass jar, and pour the pickling liquid over to cover. Cover with lid and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the chickpeas, onion, garlic, fresh herbs and spinach.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt, pepper, and pickling liquid.
- Pour the dressing over the chickpea mixture in the large bowl and toss.
- Remove the asparagus from the pickling liquid and add to the salad.
- Top with crumbled feta and sesame seeds.
If you have time to make the quick pickles a few hours ahead of time, that will intensify the pickle flavour. We also recommend cutting the asparagus on the bias, for a more elegant look.
Prime foods for pickling: cucumbers, radishes, carrots, okra, pearl onions, beets, cabbage, peppers, garlic, grape tomatoes
Other recipes you might like